Thursday 29 December 2016

My Life In Books ~ talking to author Lisa Hall @LisaHallAuthor @HQstories





My Life in Books is an occasional feature on Random Things Through My Letterbox
I've asked authors and people in publishing to share with us a list of the books that are important to them and have made a lasting impression on their life.


Please join me in welcoming crime author Lisa Hall to Random Things today. Lisa is the author of Between You and Me, and Tell Me No Lies.  I read and reviewed Lisa's Tell Me No Lies on Random Things in October this year.

Here's a snippet from my review: 
"Tell Me No Lies is a quick, but quite addictive read with some fabulous characters and a well thought out plot. Lisa Hall is a welcome addition to the domestic, psychological thriller genre"

Find out more about Lisa, and her books at www.lisahallauthor.co.uk
Find her Author page on Facebook
Follow her on Twitter  @LisaHallAuthor











My Life In Books ~ Lisa Hall


I have to include these as a set as that’s how my Granny gifted them to me when I was a little girl. They were beautiful, navy blue bound hardbacks, with gold embossing on the front and I read them over and over. I was so in awe of Jo March – I wanted to be her when I grew up.


I lost my reading mojo in my late teens, after I discovered boys and snakebite, but rediscovered it when I loved to Southsea when I was 19. There was a little second hand bookshop on Albert Road, where you could battered, old, preloved books for 50p and I fell in love with it – I picked up a copy of this book and devoured it over a weekend. It’s the perfect mix of romance, suspense and action and I love a feisty heroine.


What can I say? Who doesn’t love Jilly?! This was another battered, second hand find in the Albert Road bookshop. It was already falling apart when I bought it, and I re-read it a million times after being smitten by Rupert Campbell-Black. I recently treated myself to a new copy, after the first copy fell apart, alongside a copy of Mount – which I’ve yet to read as I’m scared I’ll be disappointed.


I studied this for my English Literature GCSE and was hooked from the first page – it has villains, and suspense and is so incredibly clever. This is probably the first story I read that made me appreciate the art of the surprising twist.



This is a recent read that just blew me away. The setting is wonderful, and the characterization is brilliant. The plot draws you in from the very beginning, and I became so emotionally invested in the characters. At the end the twist is so brilliantly executed that I wanted to cry – I wish I had written it myself! This is the book that I’ve recommended to everyone this year. 



Lisa Hall ~ December 2016 






Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment