Sometimes the end is just the beginning.
A young girl is found dead on Southport Pier. Less than an hour later, a patient who recently vanished from a secure mental health facility is discovered in the sand and February snow.
DCI de Silva and DS Barclay are back, but they find themselves pulled back into an all-too familiar nightmare. Is this a tragic series of coincidences, or is it inextricably linked to a conspiracy they once thought contained?
As the snow falls, the duo must navigate a trail that is rapidly growing cold. But when the case hits devastatingly close to home, de Silva and Barclay realise the truth will demand a price neither of them is prepared to pay.
In a heart-pounding race against an unknown enemy, they are headed for a confrontation that will change everything.
I'd advise that you really do need to read these books in order. Black Water Rising and Better Off Dead lay the foundations for what happens here, and without that history I don’t think this book could possibly have the same emotional impact.
The opening is immediately unsettling. A young girl is found dead on Southport Pier and, less than an hour later, a missing patient from a secure mental health facility is discovered in the sand. DCI de Silva and DS Barclay are given this investigation, and before long there are uncomfortable reminders of things they had hoped were behind them.
That’s all I’m saying about the story. Go into this knowing as little as possible about the plot.
I will say that it is incredibly dark. There are themes here that some readers will find very difficult and I really would suggest checking trigger warnings if there are subjects you prefer to avoid.
There were times when I actually had to stop reading for a moment. Sean Watkin takes these characters to some extremely difficult places and because I’ve become so invested in them, I felt every bit of it. I became genuinely emotional and yes, there were tears.
For all the darkness, there’s still that wonderful relationship between de Silva and Barclay. Their conversations, humour and loyalty provide desperately needed moments of warmth amongst everything else that is happening.
The freezing Southport setting is perfect too. Snow, sand and bitter cold seem to seep from the pages, adding to that overwhelming feeling that something terrible is always just around the corner.
No Place Left is brutal, upsetting and sometimes very difficult to read, but I couldn't put it down.
I finished it emotionally exhausted.
What on earth are you doing to us, Sean Watkin?
An incredibly powerful third book. I need the next one, but I’m not sure my nerves do.
Sean Watkin was born and raised in Liverpool and studied a BA and MA in Creative Writing at Liverpool John Moores University.
He has been shortlisted for Fresher Writing Award, Book a Break Prize, Bristol Short Story Prize and the McDermid Debut Award.
His writing has been featured in The Gay UK magazine, and The Content Wolf e-zine, as well as other LGBT+ publications.
Sean lives in Liverpool with his partner and dog.

.png)
.png)
.webp)


No comments:
Post a Comment