Tuesday 4 September 2018

Confessions of a Menopausal Woman by Andrea McLean @andrea_mclean @TransworldBooks #BantamPress #MenopausalWoman




The menopause. There - we've said it. It's a huge part of every woman's life and yet it remains one of society's last taboos. An emotionally complex issue that can trigger a whole host of physical and mental side effects, it's a big deal. So why aren't we talking about it? 

Talking about stuff is what women do best; we share and offload, we laugh and we bond over the ridiculous and incredible things our bodies go through. Hearing other people's experiences is what makes our own so much more bearable - because we know that we aren't alone. This is the book that Andrea McLean wished for as she found herself in uncharted territory, grappling with the physical aftershock of a hysterectomy and the psychological fallout of a difficult menopause. 

After announcing live on Loose Women that she would be absent from the screen as she recovered from surgery, Andrea was inundated with letters from other women struggling with the realities of the menopause, who were delighted that someone was finally talking openly and frankly about it. Typically candid, and including tips and tricks on diet, exercise and even your sex life, in Confessions of a Menopausal Woman Andrea brings her trademark humour and honesty to a very hot topic.





Confessions of a Menopausal Woman by Andrea McLean was published by Bantam Press / Transworld in hardback on 28 June 2018. My thanks to the publisher who sent my copy for review.

My hands are up; I don't watch Loose Women, I'm usually working, and although I know who Andrea McLean is, I didn't know much about her.

I saw this book talked about on Twitter and was immediately intrigued. I seem to have spent the best part of the last twelve months Googling the menopause, and the symptoms and this book seemed like the answer to my prayers.  Honestly, it really really was! I just wish that I'd had the chance to read this a few years ago, so that I'd have some idea of what may be in store for me. However, reading it now, officially two years into the menopause, it's made me feel so much better. I read snippets and shouted out loud; yes! I'm actually normal. My feelings, the changes in my body, they are all normal. I'm not actually going crazy after all.

The best thing about this book is Andrea McLean's style of writing. She's brutally honest about what she went through and totally relatable. Yes, she's a TV personality, but my goodness, she's is incredibly human, so real, she could be the woman next door, on any street in any town.

I'd advise any woman to read this book, and read it soon. Don't leave it until you are actually in the throes of the menopause, or even peri-menopausal, although of course, it's really useful for those women too. However, if you pick this up and read through it before you reach those stages you'll be prepared for what can, or what may happen to you.

We all know that regular exercise and healthy eating will help us through life and as boring as it may seem, there's no getting away from the fact that we have to take care of ourselves, because nobody else will do it for us. However, Andrea McLean realises that most of us want a treat every now and again, and we really don't have to live a life of self-denial. Yes, have a glass of wine every now and again, but don't overdo it. Yes, treat yourself to a cream cake, or a day on the sofa in front of Netflix; that's perfectly fine, but look at what you do every other day of your life. We can offset those treats with some pretty simple lifestyle changes.

I love the part about becoming comfortable with our body, and with our style. I've never been a huge follower of the latest fashions, but it's only been in the last ten years that I've become perfectly comfortable with my own style, and Andrea McLean totally understands that. Times have changed, and famous women such as Madonna have made it OK for women of a certain age to embrace their individuality. We no longer have to disappear into the background, it's fine to continue to colour our hair, wear funky ankle boots and statement earrings. However, the symptoms of the menopause come along at the same time as our new found confidence and it can be difficult to deal with changes in mood. It's a difficult conflict, but reading Andrea's thoughts just made me feel more able to continue to wear what I want, and quite frankly, if anyone wants to judge me because of my boots or my earrings, then good luck to them. I don't give a damn!

Honestly, I could talk about this book and what I've learnt and how reading it has made me feel, for ages, but I wont. I do urge every woman to go out, get a copy, read it and keep it. Go back when you are having a bad day, read the words and then go out and face the world!




Andrea McLean is one of the primary anchors on the award-winning ITV lunchtime talk show Loose Women.
Before she joined the show in 2007, she was best known as one of the core team of presenters on the ITV breakfast programme GMTV.
Andrea has just celebrated her twenty-first year with ITV.
She began her career as a freelance travel writer and has gone on to write for Red, Best, Scottish Woman, the Mirror and numerous women's weekly magazines.
Her autobiography, Confessions of a Good Girl, was a Sunday Times number one bestseller.

Find out more at www.officialandreamclean.com
www.thisgirlisonfire.co.uk
Twitter @andrea_mclean
Official Facebook page






No comments:

Post a Comment