Friday 4 March 2011

Exciting Book Parcels

Alongside the local free newspaper, a couple of bills and some junk there were four book shaped parcels on my doormat today, and very exciting books they were too.

Yesterday I mentioned The Wives of Henry Oades by Johanna Moran - a book that I reviewed some time ago and really enjoyed - well one of the parcels had come all the way from Johanna Moran herself, from Florida in the US of A.  

A beautiful copy of the UK edition of 'Henry Oades' and personally dedicated and signed, just for me.

I am thrilled and the book is currently settling in on my shelf of special books - it's nestled alongside my signed copy of  Emma Donoghue's 'Room' - another fabulous read that I will have to tell you all about soon.

Another author that I've really enjoyed is Jenn Ashworth.  Her first novel 'A Kind of Intimacy' was in my Top Ten reads of 2010.  I follow Jenn's blog and also on Twitter and she was kind enough to arrange for me to receive a pre-publication proof copy of her new novel 'Cold Light' - I'm itching to start reading it, it looks great.

The last two parcels were both from the new book club run by Elle from Trashionista  and contained a copy of 'The Girl Who Chased The Moon' by Sarah Addison Allen and 'Spotlight' by Ilana Fox - both of these two look like fun reads.

I've read a couple of books by Sarah Addison Allen before and they are easy, quick reads, a bit sweet at times but stories to make you smile.

I reviewed Ilana Fox's first novel; 'The Making of Mia' a couple of years ago, again it was a fun read that cheered me up - I hope Spotlight does the same.

So, all in all, a good parcel day for me, it's been a good week overall for parcels, although I doubt my postman feels the same way, in fact, I think he probably hates me at times with all those parcels to deliver.  I do have a major annoyance about the postie, and that is those red elastic bands that are dropped everywhere.  My boy cat, Nero loves them and seems to be able to track them down anywhere.  Nero hates giving them up and it always ends up in a fight, I'm a bit frightened that one day he will swallow one and strangle his intestines.  Bad Postie!!

Oh, just a quickie, last night my friend Caroline and I went to see Lady Chatterley's Lover performed by the Hull Truck Theatre Company at the Trinity Arts Centre in Gainsborough.  It was so fab, we loved it and would recommend it to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I love the postman when he brings me parcels that contain books :)

    Enjoy those lovely books
    carol

    http://dizzycslittlebookblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete